Saturday 24 March 2012

Clarification: How I Lost my License

It has come to my attention that I need to make a few things clear(er) on here. First, I should probably explain a little of the story behind losing my license, because this naturally makes people think that a) I got a DUI or b) I was driving 200 km/hr somewhere (and got caught doing it). Neither of these are true, and are actually quite far from the truth. The story is a little bit ridiculous in my opinion, so please excuse me if I rant a little. I am diabetic and had some issues with low blood sugars in the mornings after switching from an insulin pump back to needles. It had been 11 years that I was on the pump, so the transition for my body was a truly rough one. At the end of November I ended up in the emergency room one morning with the help of paramedics to assist me out of a low blood sugar. For months (even before all this low blood sugar stuff started happening) I had been trying to book an appointment with an endocrinologist (diabetes doctor) with no luck. Then, when things got out of control and more drastic, I REALLY needed this appointment. Unfortunately after many many attempts to get an appointment, our health care system truly disappointed me by having me wait 3 months from the time that I was hospitalized until I got an appointment. I even went into an office one day after not waking up from my sleep and told them I would sit there until a doctor would see me. I was bawling and so frustrated, and according to their "protocol" they could do nothing. So I finally got this appointment, and was desperate for some diabetic help. Really unpredictable and not normal things were happening with my diabetes, and I needed some input from a diabetic expert. I walked into the appointment very excited and eager to talk with the doctor, but this excitement soon faded.

As I explained some of the very strange things that were happening, this doctor looked at me and could give me no explanation. He told me that this is strange, and doesn't make sense. Believe it or not, I already knew that before seeing him, so I didn't need to be told that. I know that I can't depend on doctors for the answer to everything, but he provided no insight into the situation, and what came next was even more alarming. He didn't offer me any help in fixing the problem, but he notified me that he was obligated to report me to the DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles) because of the episodes of Severe Hypoglycaemia I have had (extreme low blood sugars). He then told me I had hypoglycaemia unawareness, and this means that I will likely lose my license. Unfortunately, there is a misunderstanding here, because I do not believe that morning episodes (while I am sleeping) of severe hypoglycaemia and hypoglycemic unawareness are synonymous. I told him that he would not wake up if his blood sugar went low in the night, and he told me that I should be waking up. I do not drive without checking my blood sugar or having sugar in my glove box, and would never get behind the wheel of my car with a low blood sugar. I have recently been informed that what I have is NOT hypoglycaemia unawareness, but is called nocturnal hypoglycaemia, and is much more common. I understand the dangers of driving with hypoglycaemia unawareness, and if I had that I would hand over my license.

So I cried in the office to him and asked him to put himself in my shoes. Try going to someone to get help and get absolutely no doctor's advice on how to fix the problem, but be told you are going to lose your license because of the problem. Definitely not one of the best days of my life. I will admit that I was really upset after that, because it was the last thing that I was expecting after a diabetic appointment. So I went home and thought about what was going to happen. At first I just got upset, but in the morning I had a plan. Maybe if I surrender my license before they take it away, then this won't be an issue at all. If I choose to not have my license, they can't take anything from me.

So it had been months since that appointment, and I opened up my mail the other day to find a letter telling me that the minute I read this letter I no longer have a license. Most people would read that and pretend they didn't see the letter, but the next line said that either when I read it or 14 days after it was sent, my license is void. This does not exactly give a girl time to prepare her life without a motor vehicle. I did not have a bike at the time, and have been so graciously lent Louise (the bicycle) by a great friend (thanks Sarah!!).

Life takes some interesting turns sometimes, and this is just another one in my life. I am choosing to view it as an adventure, because each day presents a new challenge and often something new for me to face (one of my favourite things in life....doing new things!). Here's to a new challenge and the excitement that lies ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment