Wednesday 18 July 2012

Big Day for William Squawklesworth Jr.

In every good classroom there is a signal that is used as an attention-getter. In my classroom, this just happens to be William Squawklesworth Junior. William Squawklesworth Jr. happens to be a rubber chicken, but he is an asset to our classroom and makes me laugh every day. He doesn't even speak, and he is hilarious! The kids have responded well to William, and I could not have asked for a better reception. They put William before themselves, and often asks questions about William. They ask if William can travel with us on outdoor outings. They want to feed William and take care of him, but mostly they fear William. Every time William squawks they are expected to turn to William, give their full attention and stop talking. Never in my life did i think that a rubber chicken named William would elicit such a harmonious response from a class of fourth graders. If someone were to demonstrate an ideal attention getter response, they could watch my classes response to William and know what they were searching for. It is absolutely amazing. I have a lot of fun with William and I often (daily) make up ridiculous stories to do with William. The best part about making up these stories is that my children actually understand me and laugh at me. That is something that is glorious in a classroom full of ESL students. I like to tell jokes and be funny (sometimes), but that can often be lost in a room full of students who don't understand at all what you are saying. I actually feel like a successful comedian when I am able to make most of my students laugh at something. This happened yesterday, when 10 out of 13 kids died laughing at something I said. This is such a rare occasion, but it showed me that all my humour is not lost. I usually will get about 3 kids laughing at any joke, but every time I joke with William the whole class just loves it.

Needless to say, William has been a great addition to the classroom. I have always held a secret place in my heart for William, but did not know this same special place for William was held by my students. Today one of my students crafted a list of member of 4A and this is what appeared:


Please not the last name on the page: William Squawklesworth Jr.!!!! I was in the middle of doing a reading assessment and looked up to see this out of the corner of my eye! It made me laugh so hard! 

 William is pretty darn shocked and flattered at what he sees! He officially made it onto the class list!
Such a great moment in my classroom, and a benchmark day for William Squawklesworth Jr.!

Oh, and side note: it is about the funniest thing ever hearing children who are ESL trying to pronounce William Squawklesworth Jr. It may be one of the cutest things I have ever heard!!


No comments:

Post a Comment